"Watch Your Mouth" For Oral Cancer!
Some may think that this is a rare cancer, however, 132 new cases of oral cancer are diagnosed each day in the United States alone.
April is Oral Cancer Awareness month, so we want to encourage you to “Watch Your Mouth” for oral cancer by taking preventative measures and getting screened.
Here are six ways to watch your mouth for oral cancer:
- Avoid tobacco–Smoking makes you three times more likely to develop oral cancer.
- Drink less alcohol–Drinking more than doubles your risk of oral cancer.
- Know the age risk–Two-thirds of individuals with oral cancer are over age 55.
- Wear UV protection–Frequent and prolonged exposure to sunlight increases your risk of developing lip cancer.
- Watch your diet–Eating fruits and vegetables is associated with a reduced risk of oral cancer.
- Get screened–Early oral cancer detection can boost survival rates 80 to 90 percent.
Want to know more? Ask us about an oral cancer screening at your next visit or contact us below.